Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Front Page!

We thought we might be progressing, but there are many domains that steer clear of anything remotely controversial. And the ones that don't, look something like this!



The ad issued on day 1

The ad issued on day 2


I was a lot more than surprised when I saw the first ad in the papers yesterday. A lot of 'intellectual' discussions revolve around public opinion, and the mobilisation of it, but I don't remember seeing or hearing about anything like this in my not-so-old life.

I think it is brilliantly smart advertising. The deal affects the man's business, he got some smart heads together, and did an almost revolutionary thing while still managing to stay out of legal crap! At least for now. Some experts think that he'll manage to get away with it too. I think I want to agree with them.
I think it also makes sense. RIL's lobbying had reached a point where Anil knew he could never make any headway for his own benefit. So what's the point in even remaining diplomatic! Solid blow, I say. Even if it may not change things. RIL will need heavy-duty PR to influence public opinion in its favour.

For my peers at college: if RIL's PR (in future) works, it will be the perfect answer for those who think only ad or only PR can work.

And people thought I was kidding when I said that the oil industry is one of the most exciting things in current Indian business context!


*These are personal views of the blogger who has no association with either of the two parties involved.

4 comments:

R said...

Smart indeed. New for our country though.

Subhadip said...

Hmmm.. new for sure. But I am not a big fan of negative ads - sounds like frustrated rant to me.

Ranjan Atreya said...

i think tats a damn smart way to blow someone's cover...send the advertising i say :)

RB said...

R,
I agree.

Subhadip,
Hmmm...

Ranjan,
Yep. :)