Thursday, August 20, 2009

Badalti Dilli?

I have been in Delhi for a quite a few days now, but I stepped out for a long distance outing for the first time today. There were a couple of things which seemed new.

1. People seemed mellow.
Everybody looked quieter. Sweeping generalisation, I know. But I could really not see the aggression. People seemed to mind their own business.

2. Way too many girls in casual shorts/dresses for me to think that they were exceptions.
Delhi males never let women wear that kind of stuff on the streets. I never saw them using public transport or be out in market places dressed like that. This is definitely new.

3. Delhi Metro has deliberately removed 'please' and 'कृपया' from all their announcements. I wonder why!
Even if we assume that people misbehave and DMRC is short-tempered like me, how can they just stop using the word? It is not polite like this!


Feverish nostalgia took over the moment I stepped inside a train today. I spent god-knows-how-many moments on the metro trains with Tarun through 2nd and 3rd year of college! It was insane. We were insane. Absolutely, purely mindless! (A lot of serious conversations too, but the mindlessness is always more memorable :)) So immediately a call went all the way to Bangalore. I adore that man so much!! Uff.

7 comments:

~ ॐ ~ said...

hmm !!!!

RB said...

Kya hmm?

R said...

They may have become open to girls in short dresses and stuff, but they are still too pushed for politeness. I am glad (I noticed too) that DMRC has removed the word from its announcements. These nutheads don't deserve it. How many do you see forming queues for everyone's sake when the volunteers aren't around?

Damn, I want to hit each one of them. Fuck knows when they will start respecting public transport (at least a system like Metro) in this city. And I am also including those carrying newspapers along with them. Literacy, really, is something else. And uncommon.

RB said...

I won't disagree with you, but I don't think removing the 'please' makes any improvement.

Subhadip said...

People are mellow - that's good! Are you sure it's not because of your state of mind at that time?

Too many girls in shorts!?!?! I am buying my tickets for Delhi!

Use of "Please" and "Thank you" are anyway way short of what it should be. Don't like removal of those from public announcements. Are they trying to save some time by removing pleasant words?

RB said...

Subhadip,
It is quite possible that it had to do something with my state of mind. But phir bhi - mellow is good. :-)

Hehee... that SO doesn't suit you. But you can still get your tickets to Delhi done. :P

Exactly my point! Removing the words does not help anyone. At all.

R said...

But since it doesn't work anyway, it's a good thing to get rid of it. These a*holes don't deserve the effort. I am proud of DMRC for this one thing.