Thursday, November 13, 2008

Reezarch

A little bored and sleepy. Right now I am sitting in a building that is yellow in colour. It is the second one - another place where I interned earlier had yellow buildings. The insides of every room are different here, and my room has an orange wall. Other rooms have red and yellow as well. It's niice! :-)
The culture here is different from all the other office places I have been in earlier. Indicus was also informal, but there the intellectual discussions never stopped. Pearson had people so loaded with work that most of them usually cribbed together, or the fire exit lot stayed out with their cigarettes and coffees often. Watson was most 'corporate' and professional. When people worked, there was pin drop silence around. When people were in the pantry, the talks were casual - movies, food, gossip, etc. And since I had my own gang, we always had our own thing happening at all times.
Here, there is no rush for anything. People work, but stay at ease. Lunch is generally quick, so the conversations are also limited. But since I am still new here, cannot comment much as yet.
The problem with research work is that even though the ideas are fun, all the reading and digging for information can really get to you. And somehow I keep coming in contact with some sort of research or the other every now and then. Right now I am working on Dalit issues, and just recalled last night that the deadline for the semester's research paper is less than a week away. Quite screwed if you think about it.

I also opened my personal Outlook account after three years, I believe. There were the corniest of emails from 2005 in it. The good thing is that I was not the only stupid one. There are a lot of emails from Jayant Singh, Amiya Sharma and Ishani Behari too. Hee hee...

Ok, I should get back to work. Will be back soon.

Title dedication to the Research prof who has apparently found a new job elsewhere.


Make that VERY sleepy!!


Edit, 15th Nov - How could I forget to add. This place has a very strong culture of shaking hands and hugging. ALL the time! :)