Saturday, November 08, 2008

Moradabad, UP

I spent the past week in a land I find hard to describe in words. I don't know if I am the one living a detached life or if it is the majority of our country that is. The fumes that gave me an asthma attack in 5 minutes are what small kids inhale everyday when they work in brass workshops. And I could not digest how a family of 10 lives on Rs 1000 a month and a single rupee still holds value. I don't want to sound dramatic but it was embarrassing to be carrying a bag worth 2K and wearing a pair of glasses worth another 1.5K in such a place. And I am not even beginning to talk about other things.
At the same time, to see such splendid efforts being made by NGOs like the one I am working with was a totally heartening experience. For two complete days, all I felt was that I am incompetent. There is nothing I know better than those people except this one language. And it does not matter. At all! The kids who are creative are creative beyond imagination. The teaching system functions so well that it can compete with any of our public schools here. I couldn't see how my school was different from the one I visited. And to think that they have limited resources... it's plain sad.

There was an element which was quite pissing off too. The govt takes responsibility of maintenance of the city and even areas like Civil Lines were full of garbage on the streets and open over-flowing sewers. So you can imagine what the rest of the place is like.
Also, the place has heavy traffic but the first traffic signal was put up only last year. Beat it. Kids studying in good schools come home and ask what a zebra crossing looks like. It's pathetic.

Ended up being introduced to an RSS man in the hope we could get some sponsorship from him. Of course, nobody knew of this piece of information. Oh man, it was funny talking to a person from the 'Sangh'! :)

Aaaand you have to live there to see the kind of Hindi that is spoken by the locals. I could not even manage it while writing essays in school. If you and I say, ' आप इस बारे में क्या सोचते हैं', they would ask, "आप के इस विषय पे क्या विचार हैं ?" :O It was tough matching up to their standards.

We live on hopes.

P.S. - I travelled alone. :D :D

6 comments:

Subhadip said...

Nice. I mean you going there and working with ASK, not the fumes / asthma part.

I like suddh hindi. And we do live on hope.

~ ॐ ~ said...

Fantastic !!!

I am glad to see someone else feeling sensitive towards the entire thing basis the first hand experience !!!

I have you to talk to when I think about MBD and Rehmat Nagar, Gali number 1 now :)

And how did you find, Gupta ji?

RB said...

Subhadip
:-)

OM
Arre koi wahan jaye aur Gupta ji ke baare mein opinion ke bina wapis aaye...aisa ho sakta hai kya?? :)
I lived there for a week. You can imagine!!

Anonymous said...

Je Baat !!!

I am glad you have had this experience !!!

Keep up the good work, you can add a lot of value to the Project, and thats what I mentioned to Bindiya too in my conversations with her ! and I am happy you are associated now !

take care !

R said...

I hope to go back to the places I used to work with. It keeps one grounded and thoughtful.
Please write more about your experience. I loved, LOVED the way they talk in MP too (I was in Chitrakoot for almost a week) - man those people are so friendly and simple, and most of all, unbelievably optimistic.

And the fact that you travelled alone is awesome. Have fun. :)

RB said...

OM
:)

I am working with her on another project too. It's good.

Rohit
Yea, their language is fun as long as you don't need to have a conversation with them the same way. :)
But their spirit is truly amazing. I'll try to write more about it.

Travelling alone was funn. :D