Sunday, November 04, 2007

Chill(y)

I had an eventful weekend, but I wonder why all weekends end with my cribbing and worrying about math!

So there was a fun Saturday afternoon with a friend, chocolate truffle pastry, catching up with a very old school friend in the evening, meeting darn sweet kids of her NGO and also watch them perform on stage, feeling and enjoying the chill in the air, letting a complete stranger make my day, letting out an unbelievably high number of abuses on the roads, having great Chinese food for dinner and enjoying the Delhi charm yet again, having the best sleep in ages, feeling beautiful, writing a mock test minus the cold after 2.5 months, still screwing maths like I do every time, not feeling depressed for a change, catching up with cousins, eating something that my ma could never have imagined I’d eat, talking non-stop about people I like, and now writing. Phew! That was my longest sentence ever, I think! :D

What I want to write about in greater detail is what I saw last night. I’ve been to Chanakya for several movies, but have never been to the market that’s next to it; particularly in the night. It’s not the best of places in terms of ambience or feeling comfortable as a woman, but what food! I went there with Bhaiya to just get stuff packed for home. Of course it was Chinese. [:D] I figured that there were about 15-20 small restaurants but they all had a common kitchen on the first floor. People placed their orders, and then the shopkeepers used a microphone to convey the order upstairs. So there were guys running in and out of one of the restaurants (which, I think, had one of the ways to the kitchen) with dishes. One coming out with hot, steaming food….another going in with dishes ready to be cleaned.

There were all kinds of people there too. The loud gangs of guys with music blaring out of their cars, north-eastern couples, families – they were all there! The place was packed at 10:00 p.m. and the movie show was still to get over. I wonder how the place looks right after a show! And I also wonder how much business they make over there. The food is decently priced but certainly not cheap. Not what you might expect from smalltime places like those!

I totally enjoyed my little wait there, though. It was kinda cold, was quite dark, but the place was buzzing with action. Everyone was up to something or the other, people were having fun, and I was standing and watching everything. Also noticed a police chowki with people sitting right outside and having alcohol. Saw my beloved NDMC-maintained roads that look and feel out of the world on winter nights, and fell in love with them all over again! It was a fun, little outing I had. Not forgetting the spicy food. Ah. :D

And now I shall sign out. See you soon. Byeee!! :-)

9 comments:

b. said...

Quite an eventful weekend :)

Somehow outings like these really help you...great to break the monotony!

By the way is this the momo's market you are talking about?

Sumit said...

Wow man!! The description of the food joint(s) was almost as 'visual' as some of your photographic works. I can just smell the aroma of the food, and can see people running around, carrying dishes of food.

BTW, don't worry too much about the math.. it can be fixed... without much difficulty...

Unknown said...

Isn't this the Yashwant Place market? They have some excellent food available there. I know exactly what you mean by the romance of Delhi roads on winter nights. Wish December would be here ASAP.

RB said...

B.
Oh yes! :)

Yeah, I think it's commonly known as that.

Wanderer
Hehe...

Without much difficulty? Yeah, now that we have screen sharing! Bloody.
:P

Woodsmoke
Yeah, wohi wohi! Good food na? :D
Aa raha hai December...it's right here! :)

Shreya said...

OK.. So a fellow winter lover.... You have GOT TO walk in north campus at night in december.... It's beautiful!! Serene...foggy...chilly...awesome... The one time you can walk around shivering...smiling to yourself for no reson whatsoever!

RB said...

Shreya
Wow! I anyway love campus in winters...and can only imagine how much better it gets at night. Some day...may be!

MeMyself_n_I said...

Sounds brilliant. I've heard excellent stuff about that place. I really must go there someday and gorge.
And winter nights in delhi are absolutely beautiful. :-)

~ Deeps ~ said...

well i had the best momos out there long time back........they were so good that now everything i check out there falls short of expectation

RB said...

Tania
Oh yes, you should definitely check out the place. It's quite nice.

:)

DK
I can imagine. The food there is really very good. :)