Wednesday, June 11, 2008

My Memory

So here's an often talked about topic today. According to a lot of people, I am the Subodh of Dil Chahta Hai. The guy who remembered all dates and times. Before anything else, I have to clear out that I am not as creepy as him. Yes, I bug people, but not to that extreme - "5 baj ke 17 minute pe hum ne yahan ice cream khayi thi". No, I don't narrate details like that even if just in case I remember them like that. :P
So what needs to be understood is that I have a memory which keeps registering things in such a manner. But again, if we take a relative case, I had a neighbour who was the real Subodh. She would remember all my friends' parents' birthdays and anniversaries. You just needed to mention once in passing that there's some occasion in the family.
In the hope that I have diluted the measure of my weirdness, I can now start talking about the self.

I remember my 10th birthday scene by scene. I know what I wore, I know that a cheap neighbour of mine took my fountain Pepsi from me for his son, and what I had for lunch with two of my cousins.
I remember the date when I first talked to the first guy I liked. November 29, '99.
Also, the date when we started so-called dating. December 26, 2000.
The last time I talked to him too - April 4, '07.
The first, second, third and a couple more dates' dates with the last ex. Also the clothes that I wore on each one of them, and the places that we ate at.
The first time I talked to Harry, the one who introduced me to Shady. April 29, '04.
I was introduced to Shady on October 18, '07. Loads of dates registered post that one too. :)
The last day of college. Again, scene by scene. I'll come back to this one.
Earlier I remembered way too many birthdays too. Consciously decided to conveniently forget some of them.
Oh, the only time I bunked school as well. Since I was an amateur, I didn't know that you're supposed to not wear your tie and badges and so on. For the ones who are as uninitiated as I was, that is done so that no one can make out which school you are from. So my friends almost took my case when they found me waiting in our secret place dressed as if I was ready for the morning assembly.

Before carrying on further, I have to say that it is actually nothing weird. How can people not remember significant days and incidents? Whatever I have listed so far, I am glad I remember all of it. Yes, some more inconsequential things too. But so what? It's cool.

What brings more fun to this whole thing is people who get irritated by it. So all I need to do is reiterate the past if I have to get back at someone bugging me. God, those expressions are priceless! For instance, about that last day at college. Recently, Shady and I were at the McD's in Saket. Out of nowhere I told him that on the last day of college, Neha, Harry and I used the loo there, but none of us ate there. Also that it was extremely hot that day. Now I didn't realise for a while that he was checking to what extent I could go. So he asked me where we actually ate. Told him it was Subway. Then he asked me the date; told him it was the 24th of May. Then he asked what I was wearing; my red and blue tee. What earrings I was wearing; the standard hoops. Who all came; gave the names. Which movie we watched; wo bhi bata diya. With details - six of us wanted to sit together while there weren't enough seats, so they fit themselves in 4 or 5 seats. While the other 3 of us kept wondering till the interval where the rest of them were. Anyway. Then I was asked what Neha was wearing. I told him that she was wearing a pink and green salwar kameez. That is when I realised what had just happened. Because he asked me what Tarun was wearing and I could not remember. Not my fault - he wears boring clothes and he wasn't around for a good part of the outing.
So even though it was funny, I felt bad that I lost the game because of that stupid boy. :D

Anyway. The whole point to be taken home is that you should remember stuff. You're living a life that is several years old, and you barely remember a handful of days that you have lived. Isn't it sad? Yes, that is sad, and not my compulsive habit. Thank you very much. :-)


PS - If the title makes you feel that a IInd standard kid has written an essay, it's ok. I felt the same.

14 comments:

Subhadip said...

What did you eat when we met?
What was Rohit wearing?
What was I wearing?
What did the big sardar who sat next to our table ask you?

Bolo bolo, tell tell

RB said...

B. O'Hemian
I ate those spicy chilly potatoes. And more of that stuff from Chopsticks.
Rohit was wearing one of those Adidas/Nike tees. He was carrying a change of clothes.
You were in formals. Boring clothes = I don't remember.
Sardar asked for the spare chair.

:D :D

b. said...

Woh that is quite some memory lady...

This is my take on it...if someone remembers it and all...its ok! Trouble starts when they start coming the present with the past!Its like constantly living in the past!

I use a simple thing called Calender/Planner for the birthdays :D

Subhadip said...

Err... I remember Rohit carrying change of clothes. And I was wearing formals (since I met you guys in a lunch break from office work). But others, I can't really verify!

And was there a sardar??? I just made that question up as a googly!!!

You are spooky!

b. said...

@B. O'Hemian
"You are spooky!"...lol

Apoorva said...

:D seriously, that's spooky.

RB said...

Bhaskar
When I started reading your take on it, for a moment I expected you to say that it's not cool when people start expecting others to do the same. But your point's valid too. :)

B. O'Hemian
:-)
Like I told you, was probably not a sardar, but someone definitely asked for a chair.
And I am NOT spooky!:-/

Apoorva
:D Sab theek hai yahan.
When are you coming?

That Girl said...

Haha, loved this post! How come we always ragged Jay & V about their freaky memories, but never you? You definitely deserve it!

And I'm one of those people who can hardly remember stuff. And when you said "You're living a life...isn't it sad?" I did feel for a moment that it was quite a loss that I've got such a sucky memory... but then I realized, I do remember events that matter, and though the details might slip me (god, chuck others, I can't remember what I myself was wearing that day), remembering the 'big picture' works fine enough for me :)

Really liked the post :)

RB said...

Amiya
I don't know how come, but I am glad that didn't happen. :D
Waise I remember that V's memory was freaky, but somehow can't recall anything about Jay.

Haan, as long as you remember the big picture, it should be fine. Only freaky minds care about what others were wearing. I finally remembered that T was wearing a green tee that I really liked. :D

That Girl said...

Arre V toh beat everyone hands down na when it came to remembering freaky details, but Jay also has this thing of remembering what you said when, and that too stuff I have absolutely NO recollection of ever having uttered!!

Hehe, good for you, T would be happy he's not all forgotten from that day :D

Butterfly said...

Wonderful memory!:-)
Good going at SubhadipDa!:-D
I like people who have a good memory...

RB said...

Sinjini
:-) I am glad you like me. :P

R said...

If I am not wrong Dadu was in a creme/white shirt with straight cut black trousers and shoes.

RB said...

Ye lo! Subhadip, dekh rahe ho?