Friday, May 02, 2008

Thoughts...

Right now I am editing a book on financial management (yea, I finally found work). And it's strange how a couple of almost Greek words can evoke such a lot of thoughts.

I can't believe that in just four years I had forgotten what basic accounting abbreviations like B/R stand for. And I thought I was good at accounts as a subject in school!

While in college, I missed accounts quite a bit. I know, a lot of my 'peers' would sneer at this statement, 'coz subjects like that are too lowly for intellectual economics brains. Well, what to do, my economics brain was always kinda pseudo. Anyway. So yeah, one of my reasons behind 'why MBA?' was a want to study commerce and accounts kind subjects again.

In the book, there is a whole lot of stuff about EBIT values and P/E ratios. I don't know shit about these things, but I know I once spent a very crazy day in office researching, working, and running about all over because of these things. It was during my first month there, and a competition on Mergers & Acquisitions was on. I felt proud of myself for having skipped lunch because I was working so much. It was part of my whole awe of the fancy things happening around me. And also of my secret fascination with a super-busy life. Heee. :D

Of course, the book is making me interact with the lady who supervised my work when I was interning at Pearson. So it's kinda like re-living some fun time.

And, most importantly, it reminds me that everything said and done, the course that I have taken up will keep me happy - in the next 2 years, and thereafter. I can never make a career out of such work. I will die of boredom. This is why I could never take up the very flattering offer made by Pearson even before I completed my grad. And neither could I stick on with Watson. I hope I do not turn out to be one of those people who say all kind of work is crappy. Really.

Okie, gotta go now. Tada, people!! :)

4 comments:

~ Deeps ~ said...

isnt it tough to edit a book, in which quite a decent amount of subject matter is unfamiliar to u ?

RB said...

Well, not really. It is not as if I have to edit the content. It is still grammar and punctuation that I am looking at. So it's like, I'm reading an English book, not a management one.

Subhadip said...

It is important to enjoy... so long as you enjoy whatever you do, you won't turn out to be one of those people who say all kind of work is crappy!

RB said...

That's what. I hope to enjoy what I do.