Sunday, May 18, 2008

Cricket, Movies, and More

As most of you know, I am part of a large Punjabi family. Lots of bhaiya-didis, chacha-chachis, and so on. Last weekend we had a lunch at my place. Apart from all the fun talks, the day's IPL match was also being followed. I made a request - please let's all go watch a match at Feroze Shah Kotla. So the boys discussed, one of them made a jugaad, and they decided that they can get hold of some corporate box passes for the match scheduled for 17th May. I repeated, please take us - the girls - along too. "Ok ok, we'll see." And well, whadyaknow -- the pigs didn't want to take us along. 6 of them! Could not take three girls with them. And nobody had the nerve to say no in our face either. Because then we'd obviously have tried to get tickets on our own. Can't blame some of them actually, but certainly the ones arranging stuff!!
So I was cursing left, right and center since Friday morning. Come Saturday morning, and the girls were obviously bummed and bugged because of the whole thing. And oh, they were all going to gather at my place first, and then head off to the stadium. :-| So, we had to do some thing!! The most convenient - lunch and movie. I wonder why it's summer break all over and no good movies around. We finally managed to find a show at Satyam, Patel Nagar for Khuda Ke Liye. And I am glad I went! The movie is almost a must-watch. Except for a couple of people who did not know how to act, and maybe the pace of the movie, everything else was brilliant. The story, the research that must have gone into it, the cinematography, the direction.... everything!! [Aside: I was noticing the lighting too. :P And it was SUPERB!] The bad thing on the part of the theatre though - they had turned off the subtitles. The Urdu was obviously hard to comprehend. One of the actors was super-cute too. :) On a more serious note, I wish more people have the inclination to watch it and to understand the issues that the entire world is faced with because of some loony brains (Yes, can't find a more frivolous adjective to describe them). It's sad.

Coming back to the original story. At 2 in the afternoon, when it was hot like crazy, I made a wish - I hope it rains and pours and pours in the evening. :P And when we stepped out of the theatre at around 7:30 p.m. - muhahaaaa!!! Rain gods were listening. And what good were the six buggers if they couldn't even get the home team to win. Yes, I'm Punjabi, but Delhi's home. So I was supporting the Daredevils, and not Kings XI. Anyway, a highly useless loss. But I am just happy that the Knight Riders also lost their last match. :D

+++++

One more thing that I need to write about is the Metro again. I wrote to them after my last post about them. They took time, but they did respond. And again, very politely and sweetly. I was rather impressed. And the work's finally been done. Thank you very much.

+++++

AND again, my cartoon boyfriend is the best cartoon in the world. The teddy-est person ever!! :D :D :D

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

i have been telling everyone to watch this movie..........agree that acting is nothing to talk abt of anyone except naseerudin shah.....but the film is excellent and very well made.........

Jayant said...

You forgot the soundtrack and the background score. That has to be THE best thing about the movie.

R said...

Damn, I still haven't seen the movie. Grr.

Subhadip said...

Got to see it then!

Kudos to DMRC... aise Metro Metro mat bolo; Metro yahan bhi hai (Calcutta Metro).

Anonymous said...

@jayant
rightly said, i have the album with me in the car and the songs are excellent.....spl bandya is very well composed

Butterfly said...

Haven't seen the movie.Saw the good reviews...But, is it an adult movie? I saw the 'A' mark in the papers.
I desperately want to watch a match at the Eden. Let's see what happens.
And, I just hope that DD are defeated by KKR in tomorrow's match!:-P

RB said...

DK
True.

Jayant
Oh yes, it was great. But I'd say it was one of the best things. :-)

Rohit
Go watch it.

B. O'Hemian
Definitely.

Ok ok, my mistake. :)

Sinjini
I think it could be an adult movie 'coz it's a little gruesome. But I am not sure about it.
And we shall see what the Daredevils do today. It's time for revenge, baby!!