Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Everything Delhi

I hit the dashboard here with the thought of writing about NDTV Metro Nation today. But even before starting, I got my title. And now there are so many other things Delhi that I want to write about. All the things that are very Delhi and are part of me. The things that I now notice more because I am soon going to leave Delhi. I have never lived elsewhere, so my love for the city is probably purely on the basis of the fact that it is home. Even before leaving, I feel that I would like to come back. For more than one reason. But a lot of things say that I might not want to after I've seen that part of the country. Well, speculations they are. This will only depend on time. As a lot of other things. They make me anxious enough to leave me breathless. I wish this line was written only for the sake of drama. When it first happened and when I first framed this sentence in my head, I wanted to save it for my absolute last post from this computer. Yes, the attention-seeking dramatic self. Same old.
Anyway, we will come back to this.

In my days of ultimate boredom, I even watch NDTV Metro Nation. There aren't really any shows on it that are the addictive kind - no dramatic reality shows, no sitcoms, no soaps. But there are a lot of things that I like about this channel. Specially the innovative ideas they have come up with. Apart from the usual, standard things that are shown on TV about cities, etc, they cover a lot of things that are either offbeat or they create shows in such a way that it's interesting. They have debates on issues other than the common ones. Their debates have elements that are not run-of-the-mill. A lot of anchors are really smart. The breed that an NDTV lover would immediately identify and appreciate. Yes, some are quite unbearable too, but mostly nice. Intelligent and sophisticated. The Group's original traits. Love them! And as they say in their ads, "Watch It!". :)
So there is this really cute guy who hosts a show called U Special. Goes around Delhi colleges hosting debates. I think I like this show more for the Delhi college life's charm that it manages to bring across. There's one who covers schools too. [He's also cute. :)] He once did a special on mobile schools. There are non-profit organisations that have buses that go around the city teaching street kids. And the show was not full of interviews of fancy people wearing handloom. It had interviews of street kids, on the streets. Very informative, very interesting, and quite overwhelming. And oh, there are shows for foodies round the clock. Breakfast shows, lunch shows, fancy restaurant specials, all kinds of drinks' specials. There's one where two guys cover dhabas across the national highways too.
And then all that information on the cultural stuff happening around. And this is the part of the city that I unfortunately never associated myself with. Never tapped on the opportunities created by the fact that India Habitat Centre is ten minutes away from my home. Anyway. So yeah, all that you want to know about the city is actually there on the channel. Something that true Delhiites would love to see, and something someone new can appreciate. Oh, but they call us Delhizens. Uncool!

I can't get enough of the thought that I will miss this place. And I have still not started thinking how much I will miss mom. That's a crazy line of thought I want to stay away from. I wish she was not going to drop me there. I guess that will make things harder. Shoo shoo... later!!

If I was making this move one year ago, I think I would have been happier. (I know the greener grass story. And just while writing this I myself found a reason to contradict it. So never mind.) The only reason I say this is because then I wanted to run away from everything that was happening here. I would have had a reason to keep myself happy being away. But today I am more or less emotionally stable. Doesn't happen to me too often. And you know me, the change-dreader. I am quick to think of the worst things inflicting my life there. Pff.

Circling one more time - I will miss these streets, this chaos. I know I hate the assholes on the roads (the ones driving, not the ones walking), but the thought of being on an isolated hill-top makes me think I will miss this. All the PVRs, crazy cousins, autos, DTCs, MTNL, golgappe, winters, a lot of other things, and the luxury of living a spoilt life. I've been a good kid, but I have extremely spoilt habits. And now people ask me if I am my parents' only kid. Tch.

Anyway. Sorry for such a gol-mol post with no flow. Too many thoughts. And still not complete. Will come back.

9 comments:

Subhadip said...

I am almost sure you will not miss the autos there! Of course, if you enjoy the price bargaining with the "bhaiyajis", then it's a different story :)

They don't show Metro Nation here in the erstwhile capital of India :( They do show NDTVGoodTimes though :)

Personally, moving from city to city (and villages and towns and nowhere) has always given me fresh perspective about other cultures, way of living, not to mention, has given me new friends! I am sure you will enjoy the venture out of your comfort zone - Delhi!

Anonymous said...

movving across cities is good, you learn a lot as subbu mentioned..........so go ahead and enjoy your time out there in pune....its a beautiful city.......

btw i like metro nation....they have some decent shows and i follow couple of them.......food based ofcourse :D

two guys on highway (dhabas) highway on my plate, is one of my regular shows.....dont miss it much........good show but i watch on ndtv good times

Butterfly said...

Like Dada said, we don't get to see NDTV Metro Nation in Kolkata. Being away from your city, your home...I have never known what that is like. Don't think I'll have to experience it for the next two years either. But, when I will reach such a stage, I'll probably find myself writing a post similar to this one.

Best of Luck for your new life!:-)
You will get adjusted pretty soon and before you know it, time will pass and you will come back to Delhi again!
Where are you going, btw?

Subhadip said...

@Deeps
Oh yeah... "highway on a plate" that's a nice show! Nice style, although I am not a big fan of the camera angles. The anchors are good.

The other foodie shows like "Chef and his better half", "High spirits", and the one featuring the sommelier are nice but average.

R said...

You might even be reading the same thing about that place when you'll be almost done. Guess things happen to us so we miss them later... here's wishing you an eventful time there!

R said...

And erm... I haven't really been following television as much (who am I kidding there) but the last time I saw NDTV Metro Nation... I think I kinda flipped after 5 minutes.
Not really a fan of the kind of television D and Da are talking about, but I must mention that one of the anchors there.. is so tragic looking even a tasty sounding dish would seem like trash.

Ignore this comment, people. I am at work.

RB said...

B. O'Hemian
No, I don't bargain and negotiate. So I guess you're right, I might not miss them. Actually, I will miss the autos, not the auto-waalas. :)

I don't watch much of Good Times. Wine tasting n all is not my kinda stuff. :D

You're right, it's the comfort zone that I am finding too hard to leave. But then, I am sure I too will learn a lot once I step out. Let's see.

DK
Hmm... I hope I enjoy it.

Of course. If you won't follow the food shows then who will. :D

Sinjini
I am guessing they still haven't made one for Kolkata. Maybe they will soon. Here in Delhi it seems to be doing well.

Yea, there's a first time for everyone. Thanks for all the wishes. :)
I am going to Pune for my post graduation.

Rohit
I guess. Thanks! :)

Yes, we're ignoring the second comment. Chill. :)

MeMyself_n_I said...

MetroNation is fun! and the guy who hosts U Special is really cute. Tahir is the name. :-)
I haven't been here in very long. Leaving delhi? How, when, where? For postgraduation i'm guessing.

RB said...

Hey, girl!! How have you been?
Yes, Tahir, quite cute, isn't he? :)

Yep, I'm going by train in July to Pune. MBA. :)