Thursday, April 12, 2007

A Diary Entry

The day has come when I have started longing for college. I long for those moments. Today, I got one of my last few shots at it. It’s literally a countdown now. Collected the admit card today, will write five exams over the next month. Five days. One week after the last exam, a lot of us are ‘joining’ another place. Felt weird talking about that today. Vidur has always been “I-don’t-know-what-I-am-doing-next” in the past three years. And really, he does not know even an hour before a movie timing whether he is going for it or not. And today he was telling me how he is going to be trading in commodities in the world market. Jay was talking about how he’s gonna have a tough time travelling in the city heat without any conveyance provided by his ‘employers’. Felt like a grown-up. And the first day of college has just passed by, hasn’t it?
“Oh, you’re talking about that guy from DPS Noida? What’s his name again?”
It’s been three years.

So, two friends’ birthdays fall in the coming week and there HAD to be fun. There was a surprise planned. Loads of surprise presents with a significant memory attached to each, surprise cakes, surprise entries by friends who weren’t supposed to be around....and a lot of FUN. Lots of genuine, warm, big hugs. Lot of happy smiley faces. Loads of laughter – laughter that must have made that not-nice Chinese restaurant people wonder who these maniacs are and will they ever order or not! There were the birthday songs, there were the routine jokes, there were Neha Steps. And the film was rolling. There I realised that I love being behind the camera just as much as being in front of it. And it is not easy coming in front once you take hold of the camera unless you go – “main bhiiiii” which is what I had to do today. And then too, it was just my profile for a tiny 5-second thing. Damn! But I have voice. All over the videos! :D

It turned out to be even more special for the birthday boy and the birthday girl who could not stop grinning. Even after everybody left for home. I guess those smiles are worth the sunburn that others got over the past few days looking for presents. Kudos to V and Ami for roaming the streets of Kamala Nagar the way they did!

Oh, one of the compliments that I can never get enough of is about the weight that I have lost. It’s always an incredible feeling when somebody notices and tells you the same. And when someone goes – “no really, you have lost lots and lots of weight”, even if it is not true, it feels awesome. You won’t know what I am talking about if you haven’t experienced it but you can share my joy if you wish to. :P

But then you come back home, switch the TV on and see prime time CNN IBN showing a story where the Sindhi panchayat in Bhopal has banned girls from using cellphones, wearing scarves and riding two-wheelers because one Sindhi girl married a Muslim man, and are left speechless for a moment and then on an abusing spree for the next fifteen minutes. Following that you see their viewer feedback poll divided at almost 50% each for a YES and NO to the question – is this moral policing?. And then you really do not know what to think. Half the nation! You could curse a Bajrang Dal or an RSS but half the people of the country? Ok, half the respondents but even then isn’t it shocking enough? It saddens me.

I come back to my room. The PC is still on. I had watched Snippets - a documentary on college by two girls of the other economics section of my batch - a while back. That probably was the motivation for the opening paragraph of this entry. Again, you might not understand the impact that it had if you have not seen it but it is as if the moments and thoughts of the last three years have been put together in those twenty minutes. It’s an incredible piece of work!

There is stuff to write about one of my obsessions but I am thinking I’ll give it another post. Till then, bbye!
:-)

11 comments:

R said...

I had a strange feeling your post was going to be about college the moment I saw your blog is updated.

Well.. as everyone puts it, guess only memories can "bring back" smiles.
Enjoy yourself :-)

R said...

Blogger's deleting my comments. :O
Hmph!

That Girl said...

Oh it was an awesome, awesome, awesome day!! One of the best ever in college, maybe the best!! The expression on those two's faces as people who had left came back, and as they were unwrapping gifts and all.... ohhhhh BEAUTIFUL!

Oh you forgot to mention Harry, all three of us braved the horrible sun roaming about in Kamla Nagar... now that's not such a nice memory.

And wow, what a coincidence, I also watched Snippets late last night. Got back the CD from Jay so felt like watching it... dunno if it was just cuz I'd got it back that I wanted to see it, OR cuz I subconsciously needed to see a "college video" after the amazing day we had together... don't know. Oh I love, LOVE that movie. Will love Preeti & Vidyun forever for it :)

Silver Mist said...

Oh man! Thank you so much for an amazing birthday! I will never ever forget it! It was just out of this world and I was so over the moon!!

WOW! THANKS! :)
Oh and a BIG thanks for V, Ami and Harry for all the running around! :)

~ Deeps ~ said...

hmmm nice......abt the sindhi issue......well thats the way it is in smaller cities .....and spl in religions which are decreasing in no's.......

Amandeep Singh said...

Lookin fwd to the obssesions post..;)

Jayant said...

Oh, it was truly TRULY an amazing day. Thanks again guys!
True about the not-nice Chinese restaurant. And it was fun making them wait. :D
Loved the videos! And thank God, 'Snippets' finally played.
Yeah, Ami, V and Harry rock! You do too. :)
Thanks again!! Love ya guys!!

RB said...

Rohit
Oh, so you've also become psychic? Achha hai... :-)

Yeah, memories bring back smiles a lot of times. :)

Blogger's a moron! Hit him on the head.

Amiya
Oh yeah, Harry too. Champion cutus. hehhe....

Yeah man, I loved Snippets too. It's awesome!! AWESOME!

Ishani
Happpppyyy birthday to youuuuu!!!!
:D

DK
Hmm. But how can people just come on the streets like this and make 'laws' for everybody? Bhopal isn't that small a city either.

Standbymind
The dp guy!! :D
Hmmm. I'll let you know when I make it. :)

Jayant
The gist of it - we love you too!! :D

Unknown said...

Great stuff. Just read Jayant's post.
Where are the pictures for this great event?

navi said...

u said it so right, its almost reading your own thoughts, in print... thats what a man wants. doesn't he?

Unknown said...

Its a strange feeling when you are just about to leave college. I cursed my coll for the four year I spent there and yet when I went back for my convocation, that was some place that felt like home.

Best of luck for your exams and whatever you plan to do afterwards.