Thursday, May 21, 2009

At the peak of boredom

Wrote this while being jobless at work today....

I do not have work. I have not had much work in more than a week now. Having asked around for work, some work, any kind of work, innumerable times without any success, today I want to cry because frustration is killing me.

I hear the word positioning. Target audience followed it. It makes me miss VVR Sastry and his 6-hour long marketing lectures. Not that I ever disliked them, but my boredom is making me miss him like I missed my first crush when he left the school (in the era when teenagers did not own mobile phones to bombard each others’ inboxes with SMSs). Never mind the exaggeration.

The deal is that in our make-believe corporate world back in college, we are all CEOs and VPs - marketing. That is the reason why I enjoyed working on all sorts of case studies and presentations. Sadly enough, this is the real world. VPs are still making the presentations with all the interesting information. I am the intern. I should do the leg work. Nah, don’t really mind it because I know this is the real world. But I am not even getting the leg work!!!

I wish this office was pretty. I would have started bringing my camera to kill time. Unfortunately, I do not see any opportunities to enjoy doing that. But for your information, I am getting my Canon 75-300 tomorrow. Exciting. Uncontrollable, impatient excitement. Do you have any idea what it means? I have lived without zoom for an entire year. Oh man! I think I will stop looking for a prospective boyfriend once I lay my hands on this lens. Ah!

CNBC in the background has Raghav Bahl talking of Forbes’ launch in India. I remember the day I was discussing with Jayant how business journalism’s scope, and the money involved in it will go through the roof in India very soon. That was when I almost became a business journalist with Businessworld. Time!

People around me are highly frustrated too. As usual, IT issues are screwing their happiness. I say as usual because I remember we (old colleagues and I) used to go insane handling our massive Excel files in Watson Wyatt because IT support was never any support in solving issues. I can’t forget the day when an IT guy there told me in a tone that was funny to him that I’m stupid to expect my system to work well if I have macros enabled on 10 Excel files in one go. Here the IT guys ask people to not expect the internet to download annual reports or attachments in excess of 3MB on their Outlook. Ouch.

So you see, I am jobless enough to go back to 2007 and pick such a random incident and write about it here.

My neighbour’s desktop has a fancy wallpaper of a car. I think it’s a Porsche. On second thought, it is not that fancy. I can click a better picture of the car in a better location and make it look better. But since nobody is asking me to do that, we shall let this be.

The one sitting next to him has some Arsenal players’ picture on his desktop. This office collectively supports Arsenal. My brother should be happy.

Fish! It is still only 3:00 p.m. I have at least three more hours to kill. My MiG is out of fuel. :-/

2 comments:

swetha said...

ceo's making presentations for maggi vs top ramen........and gloating over it for the entire sem until "toothpaste" happened, which gave us another reason to gloat...!!! (16/20 - higest...yeah!!!)
im still making presentations though!!! :P

RB said...

LMAO! And fuckin' shit man! I never realised until your comment that we got the highest in that too. We're too cool!! And I will miss you in class next term!!!! :(