Thursday, October 11, 2007

To Live For

'Something to die for' is a common phrase that a lot of us use for things that we feel passionately about. A cause, a desire, a person, whatever. I was thinking, should it not be 'something to live for'? There is nothing in this world that cannot function without you, me, or any one single person. So dying for anything will never lead to anything. Living for something, living for a person, living to earn something makes so much more sense. Don't you think?

3 comments:

b. said...

Absolutely....there are quite a few things that we say but dont make too much literal sense!

Like in the case of this phrase it is usually used to show your passion to something. Not literally giving up your life...

Games people play :)

Subhadip said...

"To die for" is a rather casual phrase, no one really means that they will actually 'die' for something. "To live for" will be such a serious phrase! How many of us find the true purpose of our life, and then live for that? What will you answer, if I asked you earnestly, "What do you live for?"

RB said...

Bhaskar & Subhadip
When I wrote this post, what I had in mind was not the casual use of 'to die for'. I was thinking about the purpose of life that people talk about. The thing that you supposedly won't mind giving up your life for. In a serious context. But yes, the things that you are saying are also just as valid.

Subhadip, I honestly do not feel that strongly for any cause. But my family holds enough importance in my life for me to say that I want to live on. Therefore, nothing in the world is worth killing myself for.