Thursday, July 26, 2007

Blank Noise

I read the latest post on the Blank Noise Project’s blog from work yesterday and forwarded it to some women in the office. They had either not heard about the Project or hardly knew anything about it. That is where a discussion about eve-teasing started. I clearly remember (and might possibly never forget) an incident that happened with me last year. I could not sleep that night, got chills every time I thought about it during the following week, felt sick about the fact that I did not do anything and rather ran away that time, although I still think that was the only option I had that time, and it is something that makes me extremely angry about the current situation in Delhi and the rest of the country. That was the day since when I have kept a spray in my bag every single day. I was kinda happy about the fact that I never had to use it. There were a few moments when I felt that I might need it, but I did not. I was not eve-teased. But!
That day was exactly a year ago. And even though I have the right, I don’t think I do. Because I decided to walk home from where I got dropped, a man thought that he could stop his car and expect me to be his guest. Now, I completely fail to understand these men’s psyche. What is it? Are they permanently horny? Are they permanently on the look-out? What is it really?

I agree to the last E when it is said that Delhi’s roads are unsafe for women. You cannot walk on a sidewalk if there is no bus-stop, traffic signal or marketplace around. You MUST be a prostitute because every man on a car/bike wants to confirm it. Or you must be an object that every man on his feet thinks he can say to or gesture towards.
There are certainly very few things that make me as angry as this does. I don’t know whom to question, whom to yell at, and just where to find a solution!!!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

One of the few things about Delhi that I do not miss in Moscow. Almost makes me want to take the pledge of living here forever.
If only punishments for such crimes could be made swift, severe and mind-numbingly ferocious.

RB said...

Woodsmoke
If only.

That Girl said...

I second Woodsmoke's second para.