Thursday, February 08, 2007

Living It

0400 hours: Everybody is tired but in a mood to have fun so the camera begins to roll and so does the madness.
This was while a cousin was in the middle of wedding vows. The rest of us, as always, found some place else to lose it.

The dancers (Nidhi and I) gear up and the photographer (Samridhi) starts singing...beedi jalayileeeee....

And the two of us do the popular steps from the original video! The exact same steps! NOW I can’t believe I did it, but yes, I did. I also had a big red flower in my hair by then.

The couple that got married the same day exactly a year ago was not behind. They wanted attention as well. So they again exchanged rings and made sure that the others applauded. We lost a chance for a separate party though!

I reached home early in the morning, slept for 2 hours and then went to college. There we dissected the ways of the different kinds of weddings that happen in India, but mostly Punjabi weddings. From how women make dirty jokes during the sangeet, to how the showing off really does happen; from how old aunties have curious minds with big mouths to the flexibility with which pandits complete the rituals... we talked and laughed about it all.

Everybody liked the way my hair looked and I loved loved LOVED it! Always a great feeling! :P

Then some of us went to CP looking for some nice sweatshirts because all our college sweatshirts are cheesy and we want to have our own, sophisticated ones. But we couldn’t find anything.
Does anyone know where we can find plain sweatshirts at reasonable prices and also get something printed on them?
The kids that went along wanted to run on the escalators before doing anything else. In retrospect, I think I should have joined them too. It’s not as much fun being on the side that is just watching and wondering when they will move so that we can get the work done.

Sleeplessness was having its effects. I was told, “I am not listening to what you are saying because you are drunk.” People are so rude nowadays! I don’t drink!

But there’s a hollow. Everybody is laughing but reality does not do that. It stares blankly.

5 comments:

Swetank Gupta said...

What's the last line about? I lost it. Completely. (I feel so dumb!)

Any snaps of your dance, or is it not for public viewing. :P

The best thing I always liked about marriages was the sagai where couples exchanged rings, but one fine day, my dreams were shattered badly when mamma told me, "Beta, yeh humare yahan nahi hota, yeh to Punjabiyon mein hota hai. Filmon mein to kuchh bhi dikhate hain."

That was quite a shock, considering that ring ceremony was the only ceremony I liked in weddings. But then, that's life. (See, I can also make philosophical last sentences, even though I may not understand them.) :P

Subhadip said...

There is "La Bamba" on Brigade Road, Bangalore who does a good job of cutomised printing on T-shirts and sweat shirts.

I know there are people in Delhi who does these... try asking one of your corporate friends, their corporate communications guys will know.

~ Deeps ~ said...

hmmm goood....so when can we see ur new hair cut :D

b. said...

Seems like you are having a lot of fun!!

Always a high getting compliments right? Who doesnot like it :p

Dirty jokes at sangeet....sahi hai. Its interesting how a ladies-sangeet has evolved into a full blown function. And how its called "sangeet" now!

I will be travelling to Chandigarh for a "sangeet" ceremony tomorrow afternoon. Should be fun :)

RB said...

Swetank
Last line is how I define irony.

Oye...absolutely no snaps or videos for public viewing! Because whatever is written here is also censored. I did a Miss World piece too. Psst... :P

Awww! Filmon ka to kaafi influence ho gaya tujh pe. Toh ab aisa kar ki koi Punjaban dhoondh le shaadi ke liye and make sure that her family insists on having the wedding the Punjabi way. Then you'd be able to exchange rings. Kya kehta hai? :D

Subhadip
Hmm...Bangalore to bahut door hai bhai. Delhi mein corporate friends? Ummm....DK!!! Dekhte hain if he can help. :-)

DK
First things first. Do you know where we can get customised sweatshirts from?
And no new hair cut. Just some styling! :P

Bhaskar
Oh yes, lots of fun!
Compliments are always good but the ones that say that hair's looking good top them all. :P

Ladies-sangeet or sangeet....it always was a proper function yaar. Only men can witness them at some instances now. And all those songs that women sing have loads of dirty jokes. You just need to know your Punjabi well to understand them.

HAve fun at the "sangeet". :-)