Monday, February 12, 2007

Happy Day@Safdarjung's Tomb

Some people are naturally slow and you can’t really help their case. The person in question here is one of my teachers who was supposed to conduct an exam today but the reason for postponing it could not be lamer than what she gave.

Anyway! So did not spend much time in college and took my Vasant Kunj Special. But I wasn’t coming home directly. I had been thinking of visiting Safdarjung’s Tomb for quite some time and today the plan finally materialised. Of course, I was alone just like I was a year ago when I went to see the Red Fort. The excitement was not as high as the previous time because now I’m a lot more used to doing stuff alone but I was definitely looking forward to seeing the place.

The back view

Tiny corridor


The Tomb was built by Nawab Shujauddaula for his father Mirza Mudim Abul Mansur Khan or Safdarjung. (Now that's a long name!)

The number of couples inside the place was not even funny. I was feeling embarrassed in front of all the foreigners because of ALL those people who were at it. Looked like a wholesale market! For once I wished for some moral policing. Ugh!

Anyway, I kept myself busy in clicking pictures. It is built on the lines of the architecture of Humayun’s Tomb. And if not the inside, the outside has been maintained quite well. The ceilings were extremely pretty too. I spent about one hour there. Moved around at leisure (but the couples irritated me!!); it isn’t too big.

The ceiling

Looking up

Part of a pillar. This is one of my favourites.



I liked being there. Now I’m thinking of my next destination. :-)

And oh, I made my very own Flickr page too.

16 comments:

Swetank Gupta said...

Yeah, now you make a Flickr page too, so that I have more things to waste time on. Tujhe pata nahi hai ki main kitna busy insaan hoon, fir bhi aisa karti hai mere saath. You know I can't resist it. I HAVE to see it.

The pics are very nice. Though I'm no authority on photography (Rohit'll vouch for that. In his words, "Dude! Your framing sucks!", which is very true) I still think that these are very good, not just to look at but also from the technical aspect.

Aur couples se irritate hone ki kya zaroorat hai. Just begin clicking their photos, aadhe to aise hi bhaag jayenge. Jo nahi bhaagenge, they'll give you masala for your blog. :D ;)

Unknown said...

Very nice pictures. Good informative description too. Am off to see your flickr page now.

R said...

The weather must have helped moving around. Its fabulous these days!

I like the some pictures..and the last one is the coolest.

Subhadip said...

Nice pics :-)

Enjoy flickring!

~ Deeps ~ said...

good pics......and welcome to flickr :)

RB said...

Swetank
Achha to mera Flickr page dekhna tere liye time waste hai?? Hmmm...sab samajh rahi hoon main.

Thanks. Although I do think that there's still a lot I need to learn about photography before I get them right from the technical aspect.

NO!!! The couples WERE irritating. I even observed one of them kissing. Didn't look good. Ab agar public mein kar rahe hain to kam se kam public entertain to ho. Haina? :P

Woodmsoke
Thank you. Saw and replied to your comment on Flickr too. :-)

Rohit
Yeah...the weather is great.
Thanks.

Subhadip
Thanks. :-)

Will do...

DK
Thanking you. :D

Ar Ar Ar Arrrrr said...

Ooooooooooooooo...
Pretty snaps :)

I missed visiting this palce, when I was in Delhi....but I visited Taj Mahal and Jaipur one weekend :D

Thanks for sharing em with us.

Cheers!!

Kanika said...

Beautiful pictures girl...

RB said...

Arz000n
Thanks! :-)

I have to see the Taj. When I went there I was really small and I don't remember anything now. :(

So you live in UK and are from India. Which part of India?

Kanu
Thanks. :-)

Anonymous said...

Nice shots. It is lovely to see something to remind me of Delhi.

Butterfly said...

"Mirza Mudim Abdul Mansur Khan"...A very long name indeed. This name and this post reminded me of my History lessons. Nice pictures though.

That Girl said...

Lovely pics. The second one is hauntingly beautiful.

RB said...

Navin
Thank you.
I'm sure if and when I'm away from Delhi, these pictures will give me the true Delhi feel. :-)

Sinjini
Yeah...History lessons...I can imagine! :-)

Amiya
Thaaanks.

That Girl said...

Oh and I commented on some pics on your Flickr page, did you see 'em?

Unknown said...

Amazin pics ...esp the arches one.

RB said...

Amiya
Yep, I did. :-)

Tarun
Thanks! Glad you liked them.