Monday, August 25, 2008

I Take Offence

Today we had a session on social change communication jazz by a man whose looks and first few words spoke of fundamentalist and idealist views. Very close to a typical JNU person, if I may say so. Nothing wrong with that - my patience levels are growing, and I can respect your opinion if you are making even a tiny bit of sense. But what do I do with people who major in subjects like politics, work on civil society agendas, and are involved in a lot of advocacy but do not know what economics is! How do I listen to them go on for 90 minutes!
I would expect such a person to at least have a holistic view of what all economics entails. For god's sake, at least not assume that economics is limited to stocks and GDP growth!! And be so narrow in thinking that anyone using terms like 'inclusive growth' must be from an economics background. Or talk about the Human Development Index and not even know its components. It is not 1,2,3, and a few other such components! It is an INDEX - it is defined! And you are working in the social sector, blasting the state and corporates even for their mere existence, quoting dramatic figures from unknown reports, and then do not know your basics!! If I quote some of batchmates here, there will be too many profanities to handle. But I SO wanted to give him a piece of my mind. Maybe he will respond to some emails.

But it is not just him. Majority of the people equate economics with the stock market. Most of these do it out of mere ignorance, but I never understand how people's worldview is based on so many assumptions and simplistic ideas. I do not assume anything about things I do not know. Or at least am open to what others have to say about those things. People!

____

Apart from that, please put your hands together for the new official creative brain on the blog. Second ad creative assignment in a row which was much appreciated! Yours truly obviously works only on the copy. Art work is still ART. :P

____

Oh, some more people are a major piss-off -- those who believe that they can talk all day and get away by not doing any work. Unfortunately, but obviously, I am working closely with a few such people. I cannot believe the kind of fancy shit they produce to impress some more mortals who have a dimmer wit.

HMPH!

Who all are sending me flowers next week?

5 comments:

Silver Mist said...

those who believe that they can talk all day and get away by not doing any work.
I know the types.. they are rampant in every B school I guess, called 'Free Riders. Don't do any work... damn pissing off.
Oh and you should see the way they come rushing in to hog the limelight. :x

Subhadip said...

Well... it takes all kinds to make this world... don't get angry.

What's the address to send those flowers?

Anonymous said...

Ishani
Yea, man! Not just in B Schools, they are ALL over! And don't even talk about limelight! Imagine what the extent must be in this MEDIA school. :-/

Subhadip
Wo bhi hai, Yoda. :-/

Aap sach mein bhejoge??? :D :D

Anonymous said...

flowers kisliye :D :D :D

jokes apart now u being a fotographer.......flower ki foto chalegi na :D

Butterfly said...

I just don't understand how those people, who only talk without working, get away with it every time! Its the innnocent and honest folks who fall in trouble!