Thursday, May 27, 2010

The Big Fat Punjabi Wedding

Relatives from outside of Delhi came over about a week in advance.

A lot of chai happened even though the temperature was going through the roof.

People noticed every single thing that the groom's immediate family wore at every function.

People checked me for not wearing make-up.

Everyone danced like crrrrrazy. Danced to the beat of the dhol, live music, a DJ, the baraat band, and to whatever else you can imagine.

In spite of a lot of planning and colour-coded Excel sheets, there still were things that we forgot at the last minute and had to run about for!

Chikan and daaru happened!!

Jealous relatives made their presence felt too.

The groom's cousins & friends did compete with the bride's cousins & friends over dance/joote/sarcasm and all things mindless.

Most cousins did not sleep before 6:00 am on any of the days and I hated sleeping earlier than the rest but the day-time responsibilities did not leave me with a choice.

The baraat was not on time.

As our guests increased during the pre-wedding days, the cooks shifted their set-up to our backyard and played punjabi music through the day too.

Bahut saara meetha tha!!! :D

But almost as expected, my parents and I hardly ate at any of the functions or even otherwise. So while people came and told us how the food was, we did not quite taste most of it.

A female cousin of the bride stared at my un-waxed arms at the wedding.
a) I did not have time for that stuff.
b) I had (and still have) sunburns all over both my arms because of all the running around in the heat. :-|

The groom was the calmest person in the house on the day of the wedding.

The whole house was nothing better than a railways platform. Things we managed to keep away before people came, lived. The rest - left shoe of a pair, right shoe of another pair, that watch, those papers, those clips, that charger, and a whole lot of other stuff - is yet to be found.

Power cuts did not cause the kind of problems voltage fluctuations did.

Paisa paisa paisa... so much frikkin' paisa got spent that I killed my age-old fancy for a fancy wedding for myself.

AND the maintenance of a double chin-less face is going down the drain as I am putting ALL the left-over juices/carbonated drinks/mithai/chocolates in my system!

5 comments:

Puneet said...

haha Cool! the jealous relatives are my favorites. Once a distant maama/chaacha was bitching so much about every arrangement that he even bitched about something that he had arranged :) That is still to date, my all time great Punjabi marriage moment.

RB said...

Lol! That's definitely a classic best! :)

Jas B said...

Typical wedding, hey! I am glad you had fun, chaos and all...
:)
Me and my brother traveled together from Canada for his wedding, and I went only for a week,out of those 7 days, 3 were taken up in transit...no sleep or rest, loads of work, and yeah the relatives! Lol!

When I get married, it will be simple "phere-laawan" in the Gurudwara and langar after! Lol!
But dance party zaroor howegi! Lol!

SS said...

hmm..to bhabhi ko le aayi tum :)
Mubarak ho :)

Really enjoyed reading this post. :)

@Jassu: hmm..to main dance practice shuru kar dun kya? :P

RB said...

Jas,
Oh yes... dance party ke bina sab incomplete hota hai! :)

Swati,
Thanku!! :)