Thursday, May 31, 2007

The Wild Thing

After almost 2 years, I sat behind the wheel and boy was I scared or what! For about 5 seconds I went blank and I shall not accept that the sweat was because of any reason other than the sun. Anyway. Adjusted the mirrors, turned the key, pressed the clutch, put the car in gear, and I was ready. Not too bad a start...my car (or, for now and still, my brother's car) did not lose direction and neither did it cause any other trouble. I'd given just the right amount of acceleration! That was encouraging.
So there were tinu kids with tinu balls/marbles completely oblivious to everything else, cycles, an ass who wanted to STOP the TRAFFIC so that he could do his own thing, and I don't know what else! Yeah, crazy wild roads! My memories of flyovers and bigger roads are much better. There you stick to your lane and can relax a little. Or was that a farce? Most of Delhi doesn't have lanes, right? I'll know.
A (probably younger) guy on a bike zipped past me and I knew I have to be good enough soon. This is no rocket science. A little more scary, yes, but even so. All my female cousins know the art. There's no way I can not know. Yes, it's competition too. And anyway, right now it's a need for me. Even if it may not be cool to spend a royal part of my income on fuel, it is supercool just to think that I'd be getting that much more independence. I can SO imagine myself abusing already! :D :P
Wish me luck!


PS: World No Tobacco Day. Quit it, not too cool.

11 comments:

GameSetCatch said...

relax.. driving comes on naturally.. and crashing.. even more!!

once u crash .. u learn more about how NOT to crash next time onwards :D

BTW....when u drive next.. make sure you do the following:
1 - Use Rear View mirrors extensively!
2 - In night drive on a low beam
3 - Use indicators while turning
4 - Do not honk unless its most necessary
5 - Stop behind the 'Stop Line'
6 - Dont indulge in Road Rage....if people are being nasty to you.. let them be
7 - When you get a call....park onthe side of the road... put on the hazard lights...and then take the call..

damn.. i sound like a grandpa!

Kanika said...

All the Best girl...Driving ur own car is the best thing ever!

That Girl said...

Good luck!
I too can imagine you abusing people in a Punjabi tone :)

Unknown said...

driving is all abt confidence and know ur car well....the more u drive, more u will learn......


and follow akash instructions :) along with these 2 from my side :-
1) dont drive in fast lane and slow down the traffic (del do have lanes are all main roads :D)

2) dont use mobile.......

Loads of luck lady :)

Anonymous said...

What fun! Getting behind the wheel is always so thrilling.And yes we all know it is so hot in Delhi that is why you were sweating.Yes we do know. :P

I second your plea to quit smoking.

RB said...

Akash
Wah! Pehle hi crashing ke baare mein? The last time I'd left(touched) my car, I did almost crash into a lot of things.
:P

Doing 1.
Intend to do 2.
Always, ALWAYS stick to 3.
Yeah. As of now, I just blow the horn a little too cautiously. I guess that'll get better with time.
Oh you don't know about my stories related to 5. I've abused people in their face for crossing even the zebra crossing and not letting pedestrians cross the road. So I guess I won't be doing that. :)
6? Ahem. We shall try and stay cool. :D
For 7 - sir, yes sir! :P

Oh yes, perfect. It's usually grandpas who buy kids ice-creams. hehe...
But on second thoughts, you can't already be grandpa for me. Right? ;)

Kanu
Thanks. :)

Amiya
Ye lo! Don't you think you know me a little too well now? :D

DK
Hmmm. Practice makes the (wo)man perfect. :)

hehe...Yeah, I stay on the left of that divider for now.
And mobile? Yeah yeah..too much concentration required for the road. So at least till the time I've perfected the art, that ain't happening.

Thanks!! :)

EU
Of course you know that Delhi's hot! :P
But yeah, thrilling is the right word.

And, smoke-free...right!

burf said...

gud luck

R said...

I know driving but since my dad's pretty obsessed with his vehicle I don't get to drive. Hmph. Anyway, have fun.

Silver Mist said...

I love driving.. it is so AMAZING to be behind the wheel, in total control of the car! Wow!

Relax girl, it'll all be cool.. Did you drive to office today?

Shreya said...

I should probably b the last person commenting, since i still cant drive!!

I just hope ur a lil better than most female drivers!!!

Best of luck!!

N yes...abusing comes quite naturally behind the wheels doesnt it??

RB said...

Burf
Thank you.

Rohit
Hmm. Dads have that tendency. In my case it just so happens that my dad doesn't like driving. So.

Ishani
I know you love driving but cool it dude. I just restarted. Have you even seen MG Road (the one that leads to my office)? I had to reach there alive today, you know! :D

Shreya
You are probably the last one to comment. :P
I also really hope that I'm better that those women who're abused all the time. That'll naturally allow me to abuse too. :P