Friday, December 28, 2012

Something New

Earlier this year, I was part of a workshop which was about social styles in the work environment. The assessment of my style and what was said about it was not just accurate, but also a little amusing. Well, amusing because people make fun of some things I do, but then it really is very satisfying and fun. Like making pretty Excel sheets. Won’t you agree that they can be efficient and presentable, at the same time? I certainly believe so.

So, apart from work-related Excel sheets, I made two personal ones which made me very happy.

The first was some scenario planning I did before heading out to Goa. I usually do not do this when travelling, but I was a little confused about how I should spend my time there. After all, even though I would have had company there, I was travelling alone.

How it finally shaped up was very close to Scenario 4. *grins*     



The other was a direct consequence of having a full time job and living with family. I feel the need to do something new and exciting very often. So I started maintaining a sheet with records of something new that I did every month. 

Something New: an occurrence or an event that has never been experienced before

Most of it was fun, some embarrassing, some inconsequential, and some not worth sharing, but I am glad to tell you that I did have a fair amount of data for this file. :)  

The list itself was a first. I am hoping to scale this to something better and bigger next year.

And since this is directly related to my customary year-end post, I’m clubbing the content below. 

# For a fear of drowning in water, I went scuba diving and 30 feet deep into the ocean  

# Went to watch the Beating Retreat live at Raisina Hill

# Backpacked in the mountains

# Started wearing contact lenses

# Regularly did yoga for six months

# Drove up till 16,500 feet

# For a fear of being at a height of even two feet, I sat on a camel and moved through the desert at 10 feet above ground

# Slept in the open in the desert 

# Went for a rather disappointing sufi music concert at Humayun's Tomb

# Bought my highest heels

# Became an aunt (I know I didn’t have a role to play there). But walking with him in my arms and managing 
to entertain him is big enough!

# Ventured into a swimming pool and felt that it might not be so hard after all

# Had a lot to drink - tried a lot of new drinks and found a new favourite

# Thought that I did not need to be rushed to an ER this year, had this latest accident, and felt royally idiotic!

# I did have more than my share of health-related pain and depression this year too

# Broke a heart

# Had my heart broken (Yes, again!)


# Watched a lot of stand-up comedy, didn’t miss any show that came to Delhi from The Comedy Store, Mumbai

# Figured the difference between being short tempered and angry. I used to be short tempered. What I now experience is a calm exterior and a lot of anger inside.

# Declined a rishta only by looking at a guy’s pictures

# Started thinking about getting married

# Made two drastic changes in the hairstyle. Loved one more than the other, got a LOT of compliments for the other.

# Experienced a first real ‘happy anniversary’

# Splurged a LOT!

# Sat on a ghoda gaadi late on a cold winter night. It was one of those *silly grin* moments.

# I listened to the entire Budget Speech of the FM, live

# Started going to a spa

# Stayed at the Taj in Mumbai

# Did a speed tour of the Sun Temple at Konark. The place reminded of history textbooks from school.

# Got promoted

# Went on a blind date for the sheer thrill of the experience

# Made my first real online purchase (not books or movie/travel tickets)

# Cut my own hair

# Watched and loved Sherlock Holmes

I worried about whether 2012 was going to last. I think it was a fairly good year. I don't know what to expect from 2013. At all. It feels like I am approaching a blind turn. But I do not know if I should be slowing down.

Too many question marks. Too much blank space. Very unsure. 

4 comments:

P. said...

Such an exciting list!

Most proud of you for the scuba, yoga and the extensive travel.

And I couldn't agree more on the Sherlock bit.

PS: Excel sheets are very cool. Now if you get a rishta from a boy who makes one as diligently as you do, consider it :)

RB said...

:)

Hehee...but there are too many men who do that. I think I would like to meet that guy who is thinking of getting 'helvetica' tattooed in arial and waiting for a girl to spot it. :P

P. said...

Haha, you and your font obsession :)

RB said...

Of course! :D