Sunday, August 15, 2010

The Peepli Weekend

This was a long weekend. Mostly nice. On Thursday, I got the mind-numbingly expensive knee support that the latest doctor prescribed. It is my last hope to save the surgery. It helps me walk. Almost as much as I want to. So, on Friday afternoon I set out for a shopping bonanza to test it. Not only could I walk, I could walk fast (just the way I like to), and I was on my feet for close to two hours. This injury has been one of the many humbling experiences of the recent past.
I bought things that excite me most after silver jewellery. Bags!! Yes, plural. You can consider it a lottery. Moreover, the peace that doing such things alone gives evens out the madness. Therefore the word 'bonanza'. :D
The evening had a Teej-related dinner at someone's place. Highlight of the rather annoying gathering was the fact that an absolutely unrelated oldie located far, far away from here sent me personalised blessings. Felt good.

On Saturday morning I spotted a hot-looking guy at the hospital. Perks of an injury which takes you to places visited by fit people who play sports and get injured too. :P
I got home to learn that family had booked tickets for Peepli Live. What a movie! Beautifully made, edited with precision, awesome details, and a wonderful take on the horrible situation in the country. And of course, God bless Indian Ocean! Never thought Des Mera could also take such a filmi turn.
Saturday also saw my hair looking so killer(!) that I fell in love with it all over again.

On Sunday, Independence Day, I decided to hear what that prime minister had to say to us. It had been several years since I either watched the Red Fort programme or heard anyone give speeches the way it happened in school. It was so unfortunate to listen to the uninspiring Dr. Manmohan Singh use words that were literally used by Hindi teachers back in standard 5th. I say this because the nation is also in not too different a state since 1995 (on several levels). His speech was defensive for crying out loud! It was politics, not nation-building. Previous night's Peepli was flashing in my head as I heard him go on about one yojna after the other. Nonetheless, I still celebrated independence with extended family through rest of the day. Good food, long drive, bowling, camera flashes, and some smiles. :-)

I had followed the first three seasons of Indian Idol and always thought that a singer better than the winner got left out. But justice happened in Indian Idol 5. I am glad. :)

I expect the next one to be The Freedom Weekend. Hope to tell you why.

5 comments:

Jas B said...

:)
Good to know that the brace is helping.
(Looks like you have an ACL injury???)

And you went shopping! Yay! Bags, yes! I got an advance b'day present from my sis-in-law my lil nephew...a purplish-lilac Nine West bag!

:D @ perks of injury! Hehehehe!

RB said...

ACL.. hmm... I read about it. The main symptom does not match. Dunno!

Yay! for the bags. :D
When's your birthday?

And well, yes, hot guys are scarce property now. So. :P

Puneet said...

Shit! The PMs speech!! I knew I missed something this independence day, I knew 26th Jan has its parade, but was wondering what happens on 15th august. Going by what your saying, probably didn't miss much. And the awesomeness of peepli live lies in the fact that it thankfully didn't have any of our 'superstars' to make a mess out of its script!

p.s: Read somewhere that Aamir khan was to originally play Natha. Seeing a super fair, six pack sporting farmer would have no doubt caused a few more farmer suicides.

Jas B said...

oh...ok.

On 21-09. :)

Lol@ Puneet's post script comment!

RB said...

Puneet,
Yep, you didn't miss anything by missing the speech.

Haha.. yes, that is quite a possibility. :)


Jas,
Budday aa raha hai!! :D