Wednesday, July 03, 2013

Ladakh: Let It Flow

This was one of those road trips which needed no frill, no paraphernalia. But sound is an important part of my life. Much as smell is. I have almost no tolerance for the type that I don't like. 

I concluded that the drivers in Ladakh cannot drive without their music. And understandably so. So we were exposed to three types of music - latest dhinchak, 1990s' Nadeem-Shravan variety, and some traditional Ladakhi music. As you can imagine, while Pandey Ji's seeti is very entertaining, it can get on to your nerves. So I tried to maintain a balance between the drivers' music and my own. Places like More Plains could not have been experienced with anything ordinary!

Now, a lot of my music is either dark or glum or such that I have already weaved a story around it. So I had to be selective about what I take for this trip. There was no room for emotional baggage. The peppy, Bappi Lahiri type of numbers that I especially took along did not really go with the mood. So I was down to a few songs. And there were a few highlights.



This is a multi-purpose track. Keep changing the setting and play it on loop. It works like magic.



Moved me to tears.



If this song doesn't make you feel like you are in love, what does?

Their magic is unmatched. Period.



All time favourite! On the trip, its first occurrence was towards the end of a very long day. We were all sleepy and cranky. And then the hero got us excited. Highly!



Remember I learned a little dance routine for Varun's cocktail? This was one of the songs we danced to then. And this is the song I danced to in the car. Love it!



After a long hour of silence, this song took the mood to another level altogether!


I sang without inhibition after long. And laughed too. Some sounds mean a lot more. 

5 comments:

Akshay said...

If you like Qualia you must listen to Wake me up by Avici also. Not same but has a similar feel. It happiness.

P. said...

Oh, I love Qualia - I think I picked it off Ranjan's blog once.

And yes, Amit Trivedi has done a fab job with the Lootera OST.

Also, plus 1 to Akshay on the 'Wake Me up' - give it a listen.

RB said...

Mujhe nahi achha laga Wake Me Up. :-/

Priyam, Amit Trivedi belongs to the family of gods. Fab he is!

Anonymous said...

why am i feeling sympathetic for your driver? ;P

when is the rest of Ladakh travel notes going to come?

RB said...

Yes, why are you feeling sympathetic?

I have written about most of the trip. Might write another post or two. Not sure.