Monday, October 15, 2012

Strangers?

Some new people, some new things, take up a surprising amount of mind space. Like this gentleman I met today. I had interacted with him over formal emails a few times in the past one year. Most of them short ones. He was intriguing then too. Something about his name does it. The most recent mail exchange went on for a while. And then he decided to be polite and give me a meeting. I was jittery before this meeting. I don't know if it happens with everyone, but you know that moment when you know that someone is kinda like your peer, but is SO much more knowledgeable than you are? That there is no way on earth one night's reading can bring you up to speed with all that he has done and knows? And you do it nonetheless. Because you obviously don't want to look like an idiot. Have you prepared for a meeting with a vague objective by going over what you will say over and over? Even writing out all of it on a notepad? Okay, maybe I should stop.

The guy was very professional, very nice, not snooty as I was expecting, and I managed to not embarrass myself much. Much. Yes. And he shared information which made me a hero with my team. Yes, I am happy.   And yes, I am still thinking about him. Something about him. I don't know what. The superiority? I don't know. The courteousness? Maybe. 

Hmm.

No comments: