Monday, June 08, 2009

This deserves a mention

This afternoon I was sitting with a couple of people in the conference room when I could not help but interfere in their conversation. For the context, the youngest amongst us was Siddhant who has just completed first year of college and is also interning there. My guess is he is at least five years younger than me.

So, I'm not your regular movie buff/ avid reader/ passionate listener of music/ or crazy idiot box lover. Therefore, I usually steer clear of conversations about this stuff even though they are all over the place. But I was so bored today that even though I heard them say things like, 'oh, it's so gripping', and 'I've reached episode 16', and so on.. I still asked them what they were talking about. They said: The Mahabharata. To clarify further, I asked if they were talking of some animated version. They proudly pronounced that it was the original, B.R. Chopra version that they were watching. I couldn't help but smile. Actually, I just managed to control a laugh. For once I knew the stuff people were talking about. I spent several Sunday mornings watching that series with family as a kid.
It was really amusing. I never thought a day like this would ever come. Or at least so soon. Same generation as me?!
They were surprised that I knew about the epic. To confirm, Siddhant asked me if I knew who Kunti was. I laughed! It's silly, but I felt so cool sitting with four people who looked at me in the same awe with which they were talking about the series. Teehee!! And of course, I also knew who Nakul and Sehdev were. :D I was almost tempted to tell them what will happen next. (As if it was a thriller movie we were discussing!) I am not sure if you are also finding this funny, but it is pretttty amusing in my head. :)

___


Also for the record, I watched two movies this past weekend. It's almost a feat achieved. One was 'Lost in Translation'. I couldn't figure why it was nominated for awards et al. I just kept thinking of Whose Line Is It Anyway through several scenes.
The other movie I watched was 'Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind'. I liked Jim Carrey in it. Other than that, since it is such a talked about movie, I do not have an opinion of it. Another post, another day on that phenomenon.

3 comments:

That Girl said...

Haha, can't believe this. Just five years younger than us, c'mon so five years make a generation (or two) now? Go ahead, play spoiler and leak out the special extended finale episode to them.

RB said...

Arre.. I found out he's actually 3 years younger. :)

Did tell him the bed of arrows thing and stuff. :D

Subhadip said...

Now you know what generation gap means? In our times, there was no ....