Sunday, February 24, 2008

A couple of new things...

The big news first - one of my pictures appeared in Flickr Explore. It's a feature on the site that shows the 500 most interesting pictures uploaded on a day. It's no big deal for some, is quite a deal for me who's forever hunting and hungry for appreciation. :-)

And some slightly technical things...

I'd been increasing the saturation level in a lot of pictures, I just desaturated one for the first time. That looked pretty funky.

Had been reading about textures here and there for a while but had never played with them earlier. Just did that too. It has quite an unbelievable effect.

I'm dying to lay my hands on PhotoShop (have just been lazy about it). Not that I'm too much of a fan of post processing - certainly never mean to completely change a picture - but it can make pretty things look prettier. Or some not so pretty things look pretty too. :-)
It can sometimes be a painful process too, especially when you're living on hit & trial. Sure it's fun to suddenly discover something new and fun, but when it takes you hours just to figure how to get a frikkin' shape right... it is worth it, but is very frustrating for the L5 (lower back :(. Btw, starting this week we'll be going back to physiotherapy again. Bleh.)

And oh, apart from having been told early on that it's always better to let that flash be, I've myself never liked using it. But a couple of weeks back I'd read some article online about a very neat use of it. Even in daylight. Still to try that, but I did use it for clicking a source of light. Didn't get a good response from people, but I personally really liked it.

Flickr.com happens to be a better site than what I first thought of it. Which of course was a few years ago when I never had anything to do with the P word. :D Except, the friends who are now being very encouraging. Yes yes... right on top of the list is none other than Mr Deepak Kumar. And somebody recently commented on a photo of mine saying that it's a very "Deepak style" picture. I wonder what he has to say about that. :P

Digressing a little - it was fun watching Bhajji's little stint with the bat today. :D Of course, fun also means sitting with a set of enthu people in the khandaan, some of whom are the typical cricket-crazy Indians.

And now I'm going off to sleep. See ya soon!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/richab/ :P

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey! The chosen pic was really pretty. And saw ur flickr album too..some really amazing shots there. Must say you are evolving fast as a fotographer! Keep it up :)

b. said...

Congratulations :)

Just one question....how do you find out about your pic making it up there?

That Girl said...

Awesome! :)

RB said...

Hi there!
Thanks a lot. :-)

Bhaskar
Thank you.
You can check it under 'Scout' on bighugelabs.com

Amiya
Thanks. :)

Butterfly said...

That picture certainly deserves what it has got!:-)

And, it is a "Deepak-style" picture!

Butterfly said...

Oh, and you deserve all the appreciation for it too!:-)

~ Deeps ~ said...

Congrats for your first explore pic :)

Keep on experimenting and i am sure many more pics will joining this one in the list :)

and yeah i am surprised to see my name here but yeh Mr. kya laga rakha hai........pura hi uncle bana diya :D
thanks :)

which pic are you talking abt ...i mean deepak type of picture :)

RB said...

Sinjini
Thank you so much. :-)

DK
Thanks. :-)

Mr to aise hi lagaya. Thodi feel aa jati hai na. Uncle hone mein thoda time hai abhi.:D

It was one of my pictures from Humayun's Tomb, titled Star Studded. I don't know if you wanna believe it's your type. :-)

R said...

That's really cool! Just saw the whole set - forgive me for not being regular on blogs/flickrs and stuff - oh, my email too...

Anyway, must mention that Photoshop is a bitch for those who are impatient. I gave up on the damn software about three years ago (third class, college) - I like that lasso tool though.

Anyhow, besta with the software and keep uploading the good stuff. Love the selective colouring bit you've started out there but just hope you don't overdo it. :)

RB said...

Rohit
I'm glad you visited and liked the pictures. :-)

Don't say that man! I am generally impatient, but I'd still want to play with the software. It should be fun. At least for as long as I have this camera. The picture quality isn't that great. Anyway.

I love the selective colouring thingi too. And I myself hope I don't go overboard with it. :-)

Anyway, thanks for taking out the time to comment. You're forgiven. :D

Jadedism said...

whenevah u wanna do photoshop, u know who to call :)