Thursday, April 28, 2016

D is for Dosa

I love dosas. I loved them when it meant a family outing to Sagar Ratna in Defence Colony for their red chutney, I loved them when I had a long period of extreme stomach situations and the only thing I could eat out was a…dosa(!), I loved them when I had two Arab Udupis equidistant from my house in Abu Dhabi and I could just order a quick one for dinner every week, and I love them just as much now with frequent visits to Sarvanaa Bhavan, which includes the historic first karva chauth’s only meal. 

I hate Sarvanaa’s sambar, but I’ve made a rare kind of peace with the fact and just rely on the coconut chutney every time. Honestly, I never liked Sarvanaa when I was in Delhi. There I graduated from Sagar Ratna to Coco Palm (SEVERAL trips with work friends to this lovely place in Gurgaon!) to Naivedyam in the end which was a class act in the business. In parallel, Mom had mastered the art of making dosas thanks to our old neighbours who made it every single day. And she’s taken my love for dosas so literally that I have been greeted with it on the first day of every visit home I have made in the last two years. I even got it on my final day in Delhi before moving to London. It’s a special kind of love. :) 

And before you ask the question, I can make reasonably good dosas if you supply me with the MTR/Gits mix. And my sambar is pretty kickass. So is my coconut chutney. Yip. Okthanksbye.

PS - I haven't forgotten the C. It's in progress; I just got really excited about the D!

4 comments:

Akshay said...

Was about to ask about 'C is for?' and then it hit me....

RB said...

:) but the post won't be about that. Obvious kar ke kya fayeda :P

P. said...

Coco Palm! Such nostalgia flooding in :)

Also coconut chutney > sambhar, any day!

RB said...

Coco Palm was legend, friend. Those days were something!