Tuesday, July 03, 2012

What's Your Poison?


As a kid, I enjoyed chocolates and sweets, but I don't think that would have qualified for a sweet tooth. A few years back, it was heart burn which forced me into a vicious cycle of seeking dessert after every meal. I didn't realise it was heart burn. Nor did I realise that I was consuming too much sugar. With time, I just subscribed to the category of people who love sweets, and I was very happy being there. 

With the current state of my body, I can almost do no exercise. I've thus been told to control sugar to control my weight. Someone said, "do it for six months" and I laughed. That is impossible. So in that moment of a challenge being thrown at me, I accepted one month as the duration. To stop desserts and chocolates. Right now, I am craving. It has been about 30 minutes now. Kind of struggling. Is this what addictions are about? Asking, because I have never had to give up a daily activity like smoking. Giving up Maggi and eggs is a different kind of challenge. And I have managed that one very well. But this seems to be a bloody difficult ask. I don't think I will last too long. 

What's your poison?   

3 comments:

Vidha said...

Erm, may be you are. I too love sweets but don’t crave for it that often. May be thrice a week, which I guess is normal.

To begin with, try limiting your daily sugar intake slowly. Also, I have heard that maintaining food dairies helps!

P.S. no sugar for 6-months is insane :O

smita joshi said...

Interestingly sugar craving is linked to blood sugar fluctations. It is a vicious cycle where your blood sugar fluctuates, you crave sugar, which distrubs the balance and then u crave some more.
http://ethicalnutrients.com.au/content/articles/2010/07/dont-let-sugar-cravings-control-your-life

RB said...

Vidha,
Food diary sounds good. Maybe I will do that. :)

Smita,
Hmmm....craving craving craving!