Thursday, December 25, 2008

Uh oh

I watched Ghajini today. Feel like writing my opinion here, but I'm adding a disclaimer: most people around me feel that I have no taste in movies.

It is a 3.5 hour experience in the hall, so choose wisely where you sit. That is if you get a ticket.
If you think violent scenes don't make you happy, skip it.
If you want to appreciate good lighting and smart shots with precision, you should really keep the violence as second priority.

And once you watch it, please come back and tell me why in almost 2009 we need a story on ugly looking villain (thick gold chains and gold tooth) with uglier men by his side killing the hero's heroine and the hero taking up revenge as his sole motive in life? Did we not get enough of those through the '90s? Or is it that my assumption that Aamir Khan tries to make intelligent movies is incorrect? No doubt he acted very well, especially in the second last scene where he does complete justice to the expression of 'revenge'. But what happened? A police officer just walks into the criminal's home alone, hits him with a baseball bat, ties him up and starts reading his personal diary? A medical student can really be as stupid as they showed? Actually yes, I watched the last episode of Roadies on MTV. There was a dumb BDS student there too.

One of the main problems I had with the movie is that it does not have a good flow. Things have been done just to keep it going. The inter-linkaging between past and present is bad.

A lot of people will not agree with me because most of the audience today applauded in the end. I'm guessing they liked it. Yes, it's not as crude and gross as the '90s movies that I referred to, and it's not as if you feel that you wasted your money on it, but I expected better stuff.


PS - I thought we were done with bloopers like different handwritings of the same person in two scenes. The funny thing was that it was not even two different bad handwritings. One was pretty and the other a mess. :O

8 comments:

Subhadip said...

Thanks for the warning :-)

Most people tell me I have no taste when I say I don't like SRK's acting, so I know what you mean.

Anonymous said...

The only reason why he keeps going back and forth without rhyme or reason is because the original film (Memento by Chris Nolan) had one of the most complex screenplays ever.

This is what happens when one does something completely out of their league.

~ ॐ ~ said...

I am not sure if you have seen Memento, but its one of the finest EVER made... and I am not sure if I am going to watch Ghajini... Kinda scared to do it !

RB said...

Subhadip
:) But SRK isn't quite an actor.

Karan
Maybe I should watch Memento.

OM
Yea, don't watch it if you've seen and liked the original. It's a completely desi film. I'm guessing you won't like it.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the warning! :|

RB said...

Sure. :)

Rajtilak Bhattacharjee said...

As if watching an aged AK with 8-packs and a fully white Jitendra-ishtyle villain was not horrendous enough, we also had to tolerate Asin and Jiah throughout the movie where all they did was play a pretty face and dance to some badly tuned numbers (leaving one). And there was AK, a millionaire business tycoon who folds his shirt sleeves to show his biceps, can't imagine Ratan Tata or Mukesh Ambani doing the same. A new PC game for Ghajini would be released very soon, wonder how mush memory it would take :)

Anonymous said...

I would rather say its other way round.......all those people who have taste in movies have not liked ghajini at all....

I havent yet seen it but from watever i have heard, its exact copy of tamil one except last finale....if thats the case, then i dont expect much cuz tamil one was crap too........

just addinng memento premise and story telling way wont make a typical 80's revenge drama a great film..........

go through, u will like it: http://www.desipundit.com/baradwajrangan/2008/12/27/review-ghajini-2/