Saturday, November 17, 2018

This is the story of Thakur


I first found Thakur at Dilli Haat's permanent Kashmir store, in 2008. Simple, economical, and totally fit for purpose.

It lived with me in Pune and we travelled together across Maharashtra. It was particularly useful during the Srivardhan trip taken in the monsoons. I still remember that leaky state transport bus!

On campus in Pune, romance blossomed with its help. The nippy weather one.

Over the years, it continued to be a good friend, and obviously moved with me to London. Here it supports me every day from September to April. I literally lose sleep if it's not around.
.
.
.
.
.
.

Thakur is a black pashmina shawl. I use it like a night cap these days because my body temperature drops significantly during sleep and I get a headache if Thakur (and its heat) goes missing.

The nomenclature emerged from the time C saw me walk around wearing it in traditional style - covering my shoulders and arms with it. Classic RB style, I got extra lazy about using my arms to do anything either. Hence, the arm-less Thakur (of Sholay fame).

Technically, the label was for me, but the shawl conveniently absorbed it. Now the shrunken, ten-year-old holds a special, permanent position on our bed, and in our lives.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

If I think of you back in Lavale days the image has Thankur play a role in it too.

RB said...

And you are?

Unknown said...

oops... Parle G boy : )

P. said...

A cousin of Thakur's resides with me too! It is the single most warmest shawl I have ever owned - shukriya, dost..

RB said...

@Akshay :)

@P. most welcome, dost! Cousins need to reunite (Yes, I'm taking every sign :))!