Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Possibly

I am planning to go for a trek soon. It is a conversation I initiated with friends. It is on a route which is supposed to be easy to moderate for trekking. And it is at a time when I'd rather be out than be in Delhi. 

I toss between planning next steps and chickening out every moment. I have never been on a serious trek before. I am as unfit as I can be today. I have a bad leg and a bad back. It is the asthma season and these days I don't take a step without my inhaler (20 years this year, btw!). And of course, I have no stamina. 

But I know if I don't go now I will never go. I need to do it because I don't like believing that there is something I cannot do, especially in a space that I like. If I be realistic, I know the leg and the back won't get any better. It's been years and medicine doesn't seem to have progressed much. I was titled the no-frill girl once and I like the idea of being that. For me, being able to trek has to be a subset of that. And well, there is a place on my must-visit destinations and the only way to get there is by doing a difficult two-day-long trek. So I guess this one can serve to be a good preparatory step. 

Last year, Ranjan offered me to go along with him to Roopkund and Alekhya invited me to Kashmir. Those were some heavy-duty solid treks. I made excuses and sighed over photographs later. The next few days should hopefully change future outlook and opportunities. Keeping fingers crossed. 

13000 feet, here I come!

Source: Google

2 comments:

P. said...

I'm very proud of you for taking this forward - I know how much grief your leg and back cause you.

But this path looks breathtaking (in a non asthmatic way) and I'm sure you won't feel a thing when you take the atmosphere in!

:D

RB said...

:) Thanks. I hope I can complete it and come back with pictures of my own.