Monday, June 15, 2015

To Another Seven Years!

Early afternoon was chaotic….Enter calmness: Ruhi Jhunjhunwala. Thing were smooth thereon.

I consider myself lucky for the friends I have, especially the ones whom I’ve managed to keep beyond a ‘relevant social context’. Miss Jhunjhunwala is one of them. She and I think and feel alike, our reactions to difficult situations as well as movie characters are the same, and we often (used to) end up liking the same guys as well. I couldn't find a Jai Singh Rathore. Now I hope she does. 

She’s been the calming influence on my life for many years now and she’s been my fun-unlimited appletini partner for just as long. She introduced me to that god-awesome green apple martini at Terttulia, Pune back in the day and we continue to have at least one of those drinks at every opportunity we get. 

Post-party trip to Panchgani

She was one of my anchors through the crappiest times in Pune and the period that followed, she experienced Ladakh with me, she made extra effort to visit me in Abu Dhabi, and she made herself 100 per cent available for me at my wedding.





She had offered long distance help as well, but that was difficult for me to work with. So we decided she’d take charge once she arrives in Delhi. And she did it right from zero hour. She ensured the mehendi walas were doing what I had agreed to pay them for, she fed me while my hands were busy, she scratched my face, fixed my hair and did the entire drill through that tiring afternoon of the mehendi.


Each day she was there to ensure that my makeup was right. Her opinion on the hair mattered, and so did her vote on vetoing various lip colour options. 

And in parallel she managed to get her hair too :P

She also managed the gold jewellery when Mom had her hands full. She coordinated with family, cousins, friends, driver, photographer, hotel staff and the whole world (it seemed) on my behalf through those three days. Heck, she even organised the cash properly in my wallet! I hadn’t done it in weeks and it meant a great deal at that point when I was least expecting it.

She lugged my clothes and bags around for me. She dealt with my tantrums with ease and responsibly managed my things till even after I left with Chetak. 

She stepped in when I was beginning to feel that I cannot reasonably ask anyone to give me that level of undivided attention. Everyone had something else to attend to. I am sure she did too, but she made an exception. For me. I hope she had the time to have fun too.



A small part of me also wished I could join her in the Himalayas after the wedding, but that was just a wish at that point.

I am proud of her for finally getting her nose pierced before she left Delhi.

Now she can sing 'mera laung gawacha' more legitimately!

And I am waiting to celebrate her 30th in style. Open skies and the mountains await. 

Till then, remembering the year of the 27th!

No comments: