Sunday, May 04, 2014

Treats You Well?

Ranjan asked me this question a few days ago. I replied with an, “of course”. It later got me wondering if this is how petty our relationships can be. A reason for being with someone is whether or not they treat you well? I have had more than my share of jerks but something about this question felt odd. Okay, I won’t take for granted that we are exclusive. But I would definitely want to assume that the person would treat me well, and base my interest in or attraction towards him on something more. 

Just a week after this exchange, I was speaking with a friend who is not entirely happy in her relationship. A few minutes into the conversation, and I realised that he does not treat her well. Nowhere close. And then I wondered if I should appreciate what I have more than I do at the moment. 

Yes, he treats me with respect and love. He is thousands of miles away, but he makes every effort to keep me happy. His logical reasoning often supersedes my emotional waywardness, but I would like to believe that we behave like mature adults at the end of the day. And I am pretty certain I treat him well too. Let’s do a poll on that tonight. ;-)

He has brought some good changes with him. I hope we can continue to behave like grown-ups in future. 


4 comments:

Unknown said...

Something got me thinking of visiting your blog today. It's been a while. And I was welcomed by this blog post :)

You asked such a pertinent question - treats you well, isn't that like hygiene? It really got me thinking. I guess it is. That's what we love about people like our mom and dad and best friends. That they treat us well. And yet it's not a tick mark that everyone gets when it comes to partners - so ironic and I didn't realize it till you wrote it here! I'm glad it's something you can take for granted with him :) It's so necessary and yet so rare. And come to think of it, it's perhaps the most important thing ever.

Touch wood - stay happy always :) You deserve nothing less than perfection. Lots of love.

RB said...

Thank you, sista! We're going to see you in July! :)

<3

P. said...

For a while, I was trying to write what Avantika has so articulately put in her.

So many of us have been through relationships where being treated well could not be taken for granted. It feels good to hear these words said out loud.

I wish you every happiness, always :)

RB said...

Thanks, Priyam. I am more hopeful about good things now. For everyone around me! You're one of the most wonderful people around me - and you remember my plans for you, right?